At Home

Author: Bill Bryson
Hardback: 536 pages
ISBN: 9780385608275
Buy from Amazon

In this fascinating book Bill Bryson visits each room in his house to discover the history behind the rooms function and furnishings. We take so much of our history for granted that we never consider how much developments in architecture, food preservation, electricity, paints etc. contribute to the layout and function of our everyday homes. Bryson attempts to rectify this in his own unique and engaging style.

3 comments:

I got this at Christmas but haven't read it yet. It's one of the 'sitting on ther shelf' books at the moment.

If you liked his "Short History of Nearly Everything", then you'll really enjoy this one as well.

Wish it were sitting on my shelf :-)
I managed to acquire seven of his books secondhand and re-read them endlessly.Have to wait until people start throwing his latest books out.
My hero. I have never laughed out loud so much in my entire life.
Wanted to say thank you so much for the nasty lightbox fix. That really depressed me for a few days.
sumatracoffeedrinker :-)
BTW, I reckon you would like the present verif word:
inintin